Curried Chicken Casserole

Friday 16 February 2018


You are absolutely going to love this fantastic dish I am showing you today.  It has been taken from my Big Blue Binder, and it is easy to make and very, very delicious . . . .  using simple ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen.  There is nothing out of the ordinary . . .  rice, chicken pieces, raisins, dried apricots, onion, chicken stock and some curry powder.


The Big Blue Binder is a recipe binder that I have been carrying around the world with me for all of my late teens and adult life. It is bulging with handwritten recipes gleaned from friends and family through the years, newspaper and magazine clippings, along with recipes laboriously copied by hand from books I had borrowed from the library through the years.  With a large family to take care of, I never had the money to purchase cookbooks way back in the day. I only wish I had had the forethought to cite the sources back in the day! Hindsight is indeed very much 20/20.  I would have never thought that one day I would have the ability to share my findings and experiences with quite literally thousands of people.  I hope you will forgive me my lack of ability to tell you exactly where this recipe comes from.


Chicken pieces are sauteed in a bit of oil until golden brown on both sides.  Do try to trim off as much fat and skin as you can before doing this. You could remove it completely if you wanted to, but it wouldn't be half as attractive.  Better to remove the skin just prior to eating.  I used chicken thighs, but drumsticks would also work very well.  I do not recommend boneless, skinless chicken breasts, as they would overcook and end up quite dry.


After you brown the chicken off, I drain off as much of the fat in the casserole as I can, leaving only a minimal amount and then you saute the onion until soft over low heat. If you really wanted to cut the fat you could do this in a bit of chicken stock in a clean casserole dish.


Once you have the onion softened, you stir in the curry powder, some salt and pepper and the raw rice, stirring to coat it really well with the curry and any pan juices.



Next you add some chicken stock and the apricots and raisins.  I am not sure what the reason is for this, but the flavour of curry goes really well with fruit, and with chicken for that matter!  Once you have brought the stock to the boil, you return the chicken pieces to the pan, placing them on top . . .


Tightly covered, it is then finished off by roasting the whole dish in a moderate oven.  It is almost like a fruity pilau rice with chicken pieces and it is very, very, VERY good!  Not a lot of fussing or mussing and clean up is easy because it is all in one pan!


*Curried Chicken Casserole*
Serves 3
 
Fruity and delicious. You will need a flameproof casserole or dutch oven for this.  A handwritten recipe from my Big Blue Binder. It says three, but I think it could easily serve four. 

1 1/2 pounds chicken pieces
1 tsp salt, divided
1 1/2 TBS oil
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
105g raw uncooked rice (1/2 cup)
1 tsp curry powder
1/4 tsp black pepper
300ml hot chicken stock (1 1/4 cups)
75g dried apricots (1/2 cup)
40g raisins (1/4 cups)
1/2 TBS lemon juice




Preheat the oven to 180*C/350*F/ gas mark 4.


Sprinkle the chicken with 1/2 tsp salt.  Heat the oil in your casserole.  Brown the chicken all over in the hot oil.  Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.  Add the onions to the pan.  Cook, stirring occasionally over medium low heat until softened. 

Add the raw rice, curry powder, remaining salt and black pepper.  Stir to coat the rice.  Add the dried fruit, chicken stock, and lemon juice. Top with the chicken pieces.  Cover with a sheet of foil or baking paper and then the lid. Bake covered for 45 minutes.  Serve hot.



 This is a great weekend dish to share with the family.  You could serve it with some Naan bread, or poppadoms and a salad on the side.  I am betting you won't have any complaints! Any leftovers keep well, covered tightly, in the refrigerator for a few days.  What I did was to remove the skin from the chicken, and cut it into bits, stirring it into the rice and I can tell you it was even more delicious the day after.  Funny how that goes. It is often the case that food gets better tasting if left to "ripen" overnight!  Bon Appetit! 





8 comments

  1. this sounds so good, I would love to make this! I love your cookbook and I have made so many things from it,, I have always loved your recipes and find they fit our family perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for saying so Laurie! You will love this recipe also I think! It's really tasty! God bless! xo

      Delete
  2. I am sure it is delicious Marie..all those melded flavors..w/ rice:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monique! It really is. It says feeds three, but four is more like it. The second day I took all the chicken off the bones, chopped it up and heated it all in a skillet like fried rice. It was excellent! xo

      Delete
  3. Or maybe this tonight. I think I have everything but the apricots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh, this is soooo tasty Jeanie. You are sure to love it! xo

      Delete
  4. Will definitely be trying this soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are in for a real treat Kath! I hope you like it! xo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!