Hot Yorkshire Pudding Sandwiches

Tuesday 12 December 2017


So I had some leftover brisket the other day and I thought about making a hash with it and the leftover veg, or hot sandwiches.  I quite like a hot roast beef sandwich, but then the wheels started turning in my head and I thought to myself  . . .  what if I used large yorkshire puddings instead of bread???  What if Indeed!  WOWSA!


This is probably the most inspired idea I have had in ages.  The Yorkshire puddings are perfect for this. They have lovely built in cups to hold whatever you put into them.  I put a quantity of heated leftover cooked swede/rutatabaga in the bottom one and ladled on hot roast beef and gravy.  You could use any vegetable you want or even no vegetable if you wanted . . .


That was topped with another Yorkshire pudding into which I ladled additional gravy . . .


Just look at how it lovingly cups and holds that hot gravy  . . .  and how it sits to pretty atop that beef filling on the bottom . . .


A few homemade oven chips or roasties on the side and some additional veg and we had a dinner fit for a King, or at the very least a Prince, and everyone was very, VERY happy!  Do plan ahead as the yorkshire pudding batter mix needs to sit at room temperature for about an hour prior to using.


*Hot Roast Beef Sandwiches*
Serves 4 


This is a hot roast beef sandwich that I came up with to use up some leftover brisket last week.  I though to myself why not use yorkshire puddings instead of bread.  Why not indeed?  Delicious!  

about 1 pound of leftover roast beef, thinly sliced
a quanitity of leftover cooked veg (I used mashed swede/rutabaga) 

For the gravy:
560ml beef stock (3 cups)
35g plain flour shaken with 120 ml cold water (1/4 cup flour shaken with 1/2 cup cold water)
(Shake together in a jar until smooth)
salt and black pepper to taste
1/4 tsp each onion, and garlic powder
1 TBS red onion chutney or something comparable
1 TBS creamed horseradish sauce 

For the puddings:
2 large free range eggs, at room temperature
1 tsp salt
1 1/3 cups milk, at room temperature (308ml)
1 cup flour (140g)
a little oil or dripping
 
To serve:
cooked vegetables
fat oven chips or leftover roasties

If you are baking oven chips, or making your own, put them into the oven with the oven for about 15 minutes before you put in your yorkshire puddings.
 

Preheat your oven to 230*C/450*F/ gas mark 7.

To make the puddings - Make sure all your ingredients are at room temperature before beginning.  Beat your eggs together in a large measuring jug until very light.  Whisk in the milk.  Sift the flour into a bowl along with the salt.  Make a well in the middle and add the wet ingredients all at once, pouring them into the well, and then whisk them in, slowly incorporating the dry mixture from the sides until you have a smooth batter.  Now, this is the important bit . . . COVER IT AND LET IT SIT ON THE SIDEBOARD FOR ONE HOUR.

Place a small amount of oil or dripping into each cup of 2 yorkshire pudding pans, each with 4 holes. (Alternately you can bake it in a large shallow roasting tin as one piece which you cut into squares later).   Place the tins into the hot oven to heat up until the fat is hot and sizzling.  Remove from the oven and quickly divide the batter amongst each hole, filling them about 2/3 full.  Return to the oven and bake for 20 minutes, until well risen, browned and crispy, reducing the oven temperature by 5*C/10*F every five minutes. 

While they are baking make the gravy and heat the meat and vegetables.  To make the gravy bring the beef stock to a simmer.  Whisk in the flour/water mixture.  Cook, whisking constantly until the mixture bubbles and thickens. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Whisk in the onion powder, garlic powder, horseradish and onion chutney.  Add the cooked beef and heat gently.

To serve place one yorkshire pudding onto each of four heated plates, cup side up.  Fill with a portion of leftover veg and some of the meat and gravy. Place another yorkshire pudding on top and ladle a bit of gravy into the cup until it spills over a bit.  Lay the chips and additonal vegetable aside the puddings and serve immediately.

Its very easy to make your own oven chips.  Just peel some large potatoes and cut into large wedges.  Shake them together in a bag with some seasonings (I use seasoned salt, garlic and onion powders and black pepper) and then throw them onto a lightly oiled baking tray spreading them out.   Bake for about 30 minutes at a high temperature until golden brown, giving them a stir every now and then.

Altogether this is a really delicious way to make leftovers taste even better than the original meal.  You will find your family really loves these!  If you don't want to make your own yorkies from scratch, then use a good quality already baked one that you just re-heat.  But do try to make your own. They are not all that hard. I promise!  You could also use leftover gravy if you happen to have any instead of making your own.  This is really good anyway you make it!  Bon Appetite!




6 comments

  1. I wish I didn't love this but I do lol,,, so good!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have made Yorkshires maybe 5 times in my life..why? I want to make some now..I love their puffed up crowns and then filled:) Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monique! They are really very simple to make! xo

      Delete
  3. I send my love from Egypt.I am really addicted to your posts they are so simple and organized .keep on cooking and shining.
    your lover rosha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Ahmed! Sorry for the late response. I only just discovered your comment. I promise I was not ignoring you. Thank you for the lovely comment!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!