Cherry Almond Cookies

Sunday 9 April 2017


I wanted to bake a treat for Todd this weekend.   He's suffering some side effects now from the radio-therapy and I wanted to make him something very tasty that he would enjoy.  
 
He has always been a huge fan of cherries and cakes with cherries.  He also loves shortbreads.  So I baked him some Cherry Almond Cookies!


These are one of his favourite cookies that I make and no small wonder.  They melt in your mouth!


I like them too because they are simple to make and the recipe doesn't make a ton.  Only 25 perfect, buttery, crisp, moreishly delicious cookies.


You melt the butter in a saucepan and stir in the rest of the ingredients to make a soft dough, which you then roll into balls and space out on a baking sheet.  


Pressed down lightly with the palm of your hand and topped with a cherry, you then bake them until they are golden brown.  
 
The almond drizzle is my own addition. to this recipe which I adapted from a small book I have, entitled Cookie Jar by Love Food.


*Cherry Almond Cookies*
Makes 25
 
Buttery and crisp with an almost shortbread like texture and distinct almond flavour.  Glaze or not as desired. 

200g butter, cut into cubes (7 ounces)
90g sugar (scant half cup)
1/2 tsp almond extract
280g self raising flour (2 cups)
25g ground almonds (5 TBS)
25 glace cherries 

 
Preheat the oven to 180*/350*F/ gas mark 4.  Butter several large baking sheets.  Set aside. 

Place the butter in a saucepan and melt it slowly over low heat, without colouring.  Remove from the heat.  Stir in the sugar and almond extract.  Add the flour and ground almonds to make a soft smooth dough.  Roll into 25 equal sized balls and place the balls onto the baking sheets, leaving some room for spreading.  Flatten slightly with your hands and top each with a cherry. 

Bake for 10 to 15 minutes until golden brown.  Remove from the oven and let stand on the baking sheets for several minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool. 

Optional Glaze:
Whisk together 35g (1/4 cup) icing sugar with a tsp of softened butter and enough hot water to make a smooth drizzle.  Flick this mixture over top of the cookies.  Allow to set.


Deliciously moreish and not hard on the eyes!  These please on many levels.  Bon Appetit! 
 

This content (written and photography) is the sole property of The English Kitchen. Any reposting or misuse is not permitted. If you are reading this elsewhere, please know that it is stolen content and you may report it to me at: mariealicejoan at aol dot com Thanks so much for visiting. Do come again! 

Follow my blog with Bloglovin 




10 comments

  1. Oh My Marie! That's another one of my weaknesses, cherry anything! Lol. I sure hope ur Todd feels better real soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan! If you love cherries, you will love these. I hope Todd feels better real soon also! xo

      Delete
  2. Love the MELTED butter..gosh they look good..Poor Mr T(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has been in bed most of today Monique. Poor man did not sleep a wink last night. xo

      Delete
  3. We can't get these cherries except at Christmas so I'll drain maraschinos overnight and make this tomorrow, yum❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those would work great Janna! You are in for a treat! Xo

      Delete
  4. Just to let you know I have linked you to my blog with this recipe. Absolutely yummy they are and they are going to be made again very soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy they were enjoyed KC! Thanks for taking the time to let us know! xo

      Delete
  5. Made these to use the packet of glace cherries in my pantry that 2 Christmases ago I was going to make white Christmas with and, of course, just ended up sitting there gathering dust with 2 packets bought more Christmases ago than I can recall. So glad I finally sucumbed to guilt and made these delicious little biscuits. These were so easy and quick to make and look like you have gone to some effort! Thank you for the recipe. It's a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are one of my absolute favourite cookies! I am so pleased you enjoyed them! Thanks for taking the time to comment! ♥️

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!