Greek Mac and Cheese

Thursday 21 May 2015

 photo DSCN1795_zpsjcstmcvl.jpg

Prior to moving over here to the UK, I have to admit I had a very limited palate.   I was a good cook, everyone said so, and people enjoyed coming to our home for meals, but I wasn't very adventurous when it came to trying new things.  I grew up on plastic cheese with a father who only let my mother season things with salt and pepper  . . .  using any herb or spice at all was to me quite adventurous.  I did simple, plain food, but I did it well.



  photo DSCN1797_zpslznwoiwv.jpg

Mind you I never ever really lived anywhere where there was a mix of cultures with their variety of tastes, dishes and flavours.  Pierogi was exotic to me . . .  and when I learned how to make them I was very excited.  I never had pizza until I was in my late teens, and that came from a mix . . .  and a chinese meal at the local chinese restaurant never happened until I was also in my late teens and always consisted of sweet and sour chicken balls, egg roll, fried rice and sometimes chowmein.

 photo DSCN1798_zpsszymdsbj.jpg

A friend cooked a curry for me once and I enjoyed it.  And another time I went to a Korean restaurant with my inlaws and had some really nice steak.  It was spicy, but good.   With five children we didn't really have a lot of money to eat out and when we did, it wasn't fancy or exotic.

 photo DSCN1799_zpsdiyboaj6.jpg

Then too, with five children . . .  catering to everyone's tastes and needs was also somewhat limiting.  I tended to stick with what was liked and enjoyed.  I made a great Bolognese, Lasagna, Meat pies, meatloaf and roast dinners . . .  and great cookies, cakes and pies. Moving over here to the UK, I had only myself and Todd to worry about.  I went to Chef's school.   I expanded my skills and my tastes.   The food here is truly a cornucopia of flavours and cultures, and there is a world of fresh and tasty ingredients at your fingertips.

 photo DSCN1800_zpsz3afn3te.jpg

I am always excited when I go to the shops and am faced with the wide variety of choice, taste and colour . . . and I love experimenting with what I find.   I really love Greek Salad.  I have never been to Greece, but I love the flavours that are associated with Greek food and so today I decided to incorporate them into a Greek type of Mac and Cheese.

  photo DSCN1806_zpsceyomjse.jpg

With meaty tart Kalamata olives, choice ripe tomatoes, salty briny Greek Feta cheese, baby spinach, garlic, oregano, and a few other odds and sods, this went down a real treat.  I was really happy with how it turned out and I think you will be too.  I think it's pretty safe to say I have become quite adventurous in my later years! Hooray!

 photo DSCN1807_zpspsfhf4eq.jpg


*Greek Mac and Cheese*
Serves 4 to 6

A delicious version of mac and cheese which embodies all that is wonderful about Greek Food.   Feta cheese, kalamata olives, tomatoes spinach . . .  What's not to like?  

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2 inch strips
1 tsp fine sea salt, divided
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
a couple dessert spoons of flour
2 TBS olive oil
1 TBS finely chopped garlic
1 pound of pasta (use bow tie, raddiatore, or some other pasta that the sauce can cling to)
(Cook until al dente and keep warm)
1 400g tin of chopped tomatoes in tomato juice (14 ounce tin)
1/2 pound of fresh spinach leaves, washed and trimmed
1 1/2 TBS chopped fresh oregano leaves
500ml of dry white whine (2 cups)
7 ounces crumbled feta cheese (1 1/2 cups)
a couple handfuls of pitted Kalamata or other black olives (about 1 cup)
2 TBS butter
a few TBS of grated Parmesan Cheese to garnish  

Place the chicken strips on a plate and season with 1/4 tsp of salt and 1/8 tsp of pepper.  Dredge in the flour on all sides.  

Heat a large deep skillet over high heat.  Add the olive oil when hot and swirl to coat the pan.  Add the chicken in a single layer and cook until slightly browned on one side.  Turn and brown on the other.  Push the chicken to the side of the pan and reduce the heat to medium.  Add the garlic and cook just until gragrant.  Add the undrained tomatoes, 1/4 tsp of salt and 1/8 tsp of black pepper.  Cook for a few minutes.  Add the wine and bring to the boil. 


Allow to reduce slightly and then stir in the spinach, oregano and some more salt and pepper.  Cook to wilt the spinach and make sure the chicken is cooked through.  Add the feta and olives, stirring well to combine.  Remove the pan from the heat.   Whisk in the butter a bit at a time, until the sauce has thickened slightly.  Add the cooked and drained pasta and heat through for several minutes, stirring a couple of times.   Serve in individual bowls with some Parmesan Cheese.

Note:  You could leave the chicken out of this entirely and it would still taste really good.  

4 comments

  1. This dish is, more or less, what my family refers to as Greek Orthodox hot dish. It got it's name because my mother used to make the American version of this old standby, and a dinner guest once exclaimed, Why it's nothing but Lutheran hot dish, referring to the weekly dishes brought to church events. Another guest said, but she used *fusilli*! When I took up her old recipe I began adding, as you have here, Kalamatas and feta, thus creating Greek Orthodox hot dish that is a family favorite.

    I love your website, BTW, and look forward to your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that story Sairie! Thank you very much for your kind words re my blog! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!