Cauliflower Cheese Pie

Saturday 27 December 2014

 

I think Cauliflower is one of my favorite vegetables, and cauliflower cheese is one of my favourite things to do with it . . .  with a dish like that you don't really need any meat . . . rich and indulgent and very, very tasty.



Today I decided to kick it up a notch or two and added a puff pastry crust.  Talk about good . . .
 I love pies of any kind.  If it's got a crust on top . . . I'm well ready to get stuck in!






I cheated a little bit today and used a few cheat ingredients to make the sauce instead of making one from scratch . . .

 

It's ok to do that sometimes . . . especially if you are feeling rather lazy as I was today . . . and after all of the work I've done cooking over the past couple of days . . .  well, I am due for a break!



A tin of condensed mushroom soup, some chicken stock, and a tub of Herb and Garlic Boursin, plus a bit of grated cheddar worked a charm.



Just make sure you drain your cauliflower really well . . . so that the sauce stays nice and thick.



I like to brush the top of the crust with a beaten egg yolk and then sprinkle it with some sea salt flakes and a bit of crushed black pepper to give it added flavor and texture . . . not to mention, it makes it all look even tastier, don't you think???

 

This went down a real treat and stretched one cauliflower a really long way.  Oh my . . . I can't wait for the leftovers tomorrow . . . in fact . . . I may even sneak a tasty little bit right after I finish here . . . tasty tasty!

Easy . . . simple . . . and delicious.  It's what works for me.



*Cauliflower Cheese Pie*
Serves 4 to 6
Printable Recipe

Cauliflower cheese just got better!

1/2 of a 250g tub of Herb & Garlic Cream Cheese (1/2 cup)
1 tin of Campbells condensed cream of mushroom soup (10 ounce)
125ml of hot chicken stock (1/2 cup)
1 large head of cauliflower, trimmed and broken into florets
salt and pepper to taste
120g of strong cheddar cheese, grated (1 cup)
1 sheet of all butter ready rolled puff pastry
1 small free range egg yolk beaten with a touch of water
flaked sea salt and coarsely ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 200*C/400*F/ gas mark 6.  Cook the cauliflower in a pot of lightly salted boiling water for about 5 minutes until crispy tender.  Drain well. Return to the saucepan.  Stir together the stock, soup and both the cream cheese and the cheddar cheese.  Pour over the cauliflower and gently stir to combine.  Pour this mixture into a shallow rectangular or oval dish.  Cover with the puff pastry pressing the edges against the edge of the dish to seal.  Brush the surface of the pastry with the beaten egg and sprinkle with some salt and pepper.  Cut a few slits in the top with a sharp knife to vent.  Bake for 30 minutes, until heated through and the pastry is puffed and golden brown.

4 comments

  1. Great blog♥

    How about follow each other?
    I follow your blog. Waiting for you♥
    My Blog: http://juliemcqueen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marie,
    You might want to edit the instructions to include the cheddar - looks and sounds delicious - can't wait to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Barbara, when I say to stir together the cheese with the stock and soup, I mean both cheeses, but I will clarify that for sure. xxoo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!