Biscoff (Lotus) Granola

Tuesday 30 September 2014

 photo SAM_7320_zps4dcdc32a.jpg

I think you would pretty much have to live under a rock to not know what Biscoff, or Lotus cookies are.   They are those gorgeous little caramel flavoured biscuits that they hand out in coffee shops and that get handed out on Delta Airlines etc.  I just adore them.   I just love Nutella and Peanut butter . . . so when I found that they make a Lotus (Biscoff) Spread  I was thrilled and of course I had to buy some.  Oh boy that is some good.  I could eat it with a spoon.    All caramel rich and gooey . . .  lovely on crackers or plain biscuit/cookies.  Or sandwiched between two . . .  just sayin!


 photo SAM_7315_zps2d199fc4.jpg

My breakfast cereal of choice has always been homemade granola.   I like to make my own.  That way I can control the fat and sugar in it. And I can add plenty of nuts and dried fruit.  I just think homemade granola tastes a lot better than any store bought one.  End of.  I've been making my own for years and years.   It's rather spoiled me for wanting anything else.

 photo SAM_7316_zpsde4e9a41.jpg

This particular version here today uses raw cashew nuts and pecans . . .  and pumpkin seeds, so it's nice and nutty.  I also like to add big flakes of unsweetened coconut.   They are almost like coconut shavings really.  I get mine in the baking section of Marks and Sparks.    I also like to use old fashioned rolled oats, as I like the bigger flakes of oats.  They get all nutty tasting.  

 photo SAM_7321_zpsbbef0140.jpg

This time I used large sticky raisins and dried cranberries . . . I like to use coconut oil for my fat in the granola, because it's supposed to be good for you and I love the flavour it gives.  This time . . .  I melted it with some of that gorgeous Lotus Spread . . .  some honey and a bit of brown sugar.  Oh man . . .  is this ever gorgeous.  A new favourite.  I eat it for breakfast with a dollop of no fat Greek yogurt and some honey drizzled over top. This is my idea of heaven.

  photo SAM_7323_zps42b3a671.jpg

*Biscoff (Lotus) Granola*
Makes 19 servings

If you love Biscoff, or Lotus caramelized biscuits, you will love this delicious granola which is very easy to make.   

200g of old fashioned rolled oats (2 1/2 cups)
75g of unsweetened coconut flakes
60g of shelled pecans (1/2 cup)
60g of raw cashew nuts (1/2 cup)
35g of pumpkin seeds (1/3 cup)
3 TBS soft light brown sugar
50g of coconut oil (1/4 cup)
45g of Biscoff or Lotus spread (1/4 cup)
112g of honey (1/3 cup, I used Manuka)
150g of dried fruit (I used a mixture of cranberries, sour cherries and raisins, 1 cup)   

 photo SAM_7322_zps59ba2f39.jpg   


Preheat the oven to 165*C/325*F/ gas mark 3.  Lightly butter a large rimmed baking tray.
Mix the oats, coconut flakes, nuts, and pumpkin seeds together in a large bowl.  Heat the coconut oil, biscoff spread, honey brown sugar in a saucepan until everything is melted and amalgamated. Pour this mixture over the dry ingredients and toss to coat well and spread it throughout.  Spread in an even layer on the baking tray.  
 

Bake in the heated oven for 25 to 30 minutes, giving it a good stir every 10 minutes, until the granola is crisp and golden brown.  Take care that it does not burn. 

Allow to cool completely before stirring in the dried fruit.  Store in an airtight container for two to three weeks.

2 comments

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!