Lemon and Thyme Roasted Chicken and Potatoes

Thursday 21 August 2014

 photo SAM_6699_zps1523101e.jpg

I love to cook and eat chicken.   Once upon a time, when I was working full time . . .  I was able to afford free range organic chicken, and I won't like . . . it was lovely.  These days all I can rise to buy with the budget I have to work with is higher welfare chicken.  I am not sure I want to really know what constitutes higher welfare, but  . . .  I like to believe that they are not that badly treated, or as badly treated as the other kind.    Unemployment is a great equalizer.  If I could afford it I would certainly still prefer to buy free range and organic, but one must do what one must do.
  photo SAM_6687_zpsea243a9c.jpg

We do most of our shopping at Aldi these days.   They have good prices and they have a much wider variety of goods in the store than they use to have way back when.  I have always liked their cheeses and meats, and their like brands are pretty close to the real thing in my opinion.

  photo SAM_6704_zpsf9c3b647.jpg

They even have luxury food lines which are quite good as well.  I reckon we have cut our grocery bill in half by shopping there.  Seriously.  I only go to the other shops for what I can't get at Aldi.   (They even stock tv papers now.   Bonus!)

 photo SAM_6705_zpsdf74883b.jpg

They had chicken leg quarters on offer this past week @ £1.15 per pack of two.  That is a real bargain, and so I picked up two packs and jointed them so that I ended up with 8 pieces of chicken.  They were a really nice size as well.  I do love chicken breasts, but they have a tendancy to be rather bland when it comes to flavour, really only taking on the flavour of what you are cooking them with or in.

 photo SAM_6710_zps3f488335.jpg

Legs and thighs however . . .  these are the joints which do the most work and which develop the most flavour when it comes right down to it.   They also lend themselves to a bit of a slow roast, which helps them to really absorbe the flavours which I used today when I cooked these . . .

 photo SAM_6706_zpsc6b88042.jpg

Delicious additions such as fresh thyme from my kitchen garden and fresh lemon wedges, squeezed over top . . .  some seasoning and garlic . . . olive oil and white balsamic vinegar.   Roasted together with red onion wedges and new potato wedges they went down a real treat!  They made for a really delicious economical meal.  I simply cooked some frozen corn and some peas to have along side, but a salad would have gone equally as well.   Enjoy!

 photo SAM_6711_zpsd5089d0e.jpg


*Lemon and Thyme Roasted Chicken and Potatoes*
Serves 4

A delicious meal in a dish.  Everything is here.  Moist and tender pieces of chicken, potatoes, onions . . . all flavoured beautifully with the wonderful flavours of lemon and thyme.  

4 large chicken leg quarters, jointed, skin left on.
1 1/2 pounds of small to medium potatoes, washed and quartered
2 medium red onions, carefully peeled and quartered
6 cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed
6 sprigs of fresh thyme
1 large lemon, cut into 6 wedges
60ml of olive oil (1/4 cup)
2 TBS white balsamic vinegar
60ml of chicken stock (1/4 cup)
salt and black pepper to taste  
 photo SAM_6713_zps9cc7b4fa.jpg

Preheat the oven to 220*C/425*F/ gas mark 6.  Have ready a large roasting pan or baking dish.  You will want it large enough to hold your ingredients in a single layer for the most part.

Place the chicken pieces and potatoes in the roasting tin.   Insert the wedges of onions and the cloves of garlic in between them, here and there.  Squeeze the lemon wedges over all and tuck the spent wedges in between.   Whisk together the olive oil and vinegar and drizzle this over top.  Season with salt and pepper.   Splash the chicken stock over all.  Tuck in the sprigs of fresh thyme.  Cover tightly with foil.  Roast in the heated oven for 20 minutes.  Uncover and continue to roaste for an additional 30 to 40 minutes, rotating the pan and basting the chicken and potatoes occasionally, until the chicken is fork tender along with the potatoes and both are beginning to brown.

Serve hot from the oven with some of the pan juices spooned over top.


Note - if you think it is getting a bit dry while it is baking splash over some more stock.

12 comments

  1. This looks delicious! I think I may have some chicken pieces in the freezer so perhaps that's dinner sorted for tonight!

    I totally agree about the free-range chicken thing. Always thought it was a marketing ploy until I actually tried it... boy was it tasty! But being on a low income we can't really afford to buy a free-range chicken often so we eat chicken less now but buy a bigger one and stretch it to 4-5 for 2 people, and feel better about our part in chicken welfare!
    Though, we have recently discovered the joy of heading to the supermarket just before it closes! We have got hold of some very delicious free-range chicken, both whole and breasts for 1/4 of the full price, it just needs either freezing or cooking very quickly.

    I do so love your recipes it's become the first site I open up in the morning to check what new delicious things you've posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your lovely comment Shen! I think a lt of people are having to trim their budgets these days. If I can help them to do it by posting economical, healthy and yet tasty recipes I am happy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We eat regular chicken Marie..
    This looks wonderful..I'll try it soon..I usually buy whole chickens or breasts..Sometimes pieces..
    I'll make a point of it:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Free-range chicken is the best, I will agree. I think there is even a difference in the flavor. This recipe is a really good one, and now I wish it would be coming from my oven soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your recipes are always so "doable" and I love that. They are also, delicious! Thanks for all the effort you put into posting your recipes. That includes taking the time to take pictures of the dish you just made. I appreciate it and always look forward to seeing what you will post next. I honestly can say that I am never disappointed!

    Chicken is my meat of choice. :-)
    The recipe sounds really good Marie! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Monique! I think it's a good economy measure to buy whole chickens and cut them down to size Monique! It's a known fact that the less your food has been handled by the time you get to it, the cheaper it is! xxoo

    Thanks Nellie! I hope you enjoy it! xxoo

    Thanks Valerie! It does take a lot of time, but it is a labor of love! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope that you enjoy it Monique! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are you peeking into my fridge again? I found a very good buy on chicken legs and thighs yesterday so thank you once again for the "perfect" recipe for Sunday dinner. We are very blessed and live next to a small farm who sells us free range organic chicken at the same price as supermarket chickens. However I still stumble upon bargains that I can't resist.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not sure if my last comment posted... But this looks delicious! A question from Australia- what is a TV paper? Is it a TV guide, or something foodstuffs related?
    Bec

    ReplyDelete
  10. I must be peeking ito your fridge without knowing it Mam! lol Love hw that works! You are lucky to live next to a small farm! xxoo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!