Washboard Cookies

Saturday 1 August 2009



I have a big old fashioned pottery cookie jar that sits on the window sill of my kitchen window. It's a very pretty pig lady and I have had her for donkey's years. I bought her at a yard sale many moons ago for a few dollars and brought her over here from Canada, when I moved over here to live some 9 years ago now. She is one of my favourite things. I wish I had a pound for every cookie she's ever held in her jolly belly over the years. I'd be a very rich woman by now!



Old fashioned cookie jars just beg to hold old fashioned cookies. You know the kind . . .



Cookies that are filled with simple ingredients . . .

Baked in simple ways . . .

For simple appetites . . .



These wonderfully old fashioned cookies do just that. They are refrigerator cookies. You make them up ahead and then just slice and bake when you want fresh cookies. I used to make tons of these when my kiddies were growing up. I always tried to have several rolls of different refrigerator cookies wrapped up and hidden in the freezer for impromptu snacks and company. It's a very simple and handy thing to do. That way you can have fresh cookies at the drop of a hat and with very little effort.



These days I keep them in the freezer for very different reasons, although to be sure, it is still nice to have a little something tucked away for surprise company. Todd and I are only two people and we can only eat so much, and so I can bake only as many as we need at any one time and know that whenever I want some more . . . there are fresh goodies just waiting in the freezer to be baked.

Not to coin a phrase from anyone famous or not, but . . . it's a good thing.



*Washboard Cookies*
Makes about 3 dozen
Printable Recipe

This is a good old fashioned refrigerator cookie. You make the dough ahead, shape it into a roll and then chill for several hours, wrapped tightly. When you are ready to bake them, you simply cut them into slices, lay them on your baking pan, press a fork into them (to give them that great washboard look) and then bake. In no time at all you are rewarded with a scrummy cookie, crisp and full of buttery brown sugar flavour, not to mention coconut!

2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
1 large egg
2 TBS milk
8 TBS sweet butter, softened
1 cup of soft light brown sugar, packed
1 cup of sweetened flaked coconut (if your coconut has long strands, chop it up a bit to get rid of them)



Place the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg in a bowl. Whisk together with a whisk to combine. In another bowl cream the brown sugar and the butter together until light and fluffy. Beat the egg and milk together in a small bowl. Beat the egg mixture into the butter mixture, then beat in the dry ingredients, just until well combined. Stir in the coconut.

Lay a sheet of plastic wrap or waxed paper out on your counter top. Place the dough onto it, shaping it into a 15 inch long log. Flatten the top and sides of the log so that it is approximately 3 inches wide and 1 inch high. Wrap tightly and place in the refrigerator to chill for several hours.

When you are ready to bake them, pre-heat the oven to 180*C/350*F. Line several baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.

Remove your dough from the fridge. Using a very sharp knife, cut the dough crosswise into slices that are 1/4 inch thick. Place them on the prepared baking sheets some two inches apart from each other. Using a fork that has been dipped into flour, press ridges into the tops of the cookies, re-dipping it into the flour as necessary. Repeat until all are done. If you have some dough left, re wrap and place it back into the fridge until you are ready to slice and bake.

Bake in the heated oven for 13 to 15 minutes, or until nicely browned, turning the baking sheets around halfway through the baking process. Remove from the oven and leave on the sheets to cool for 10 minutes before removing them to finish cooling on a wire rack. Repeat with the remaining dough. Store in a tightly covered container. Delicious!

7 comments

  1. How simple can it be???? Good morning, dear friend. Just one little question: what's 'sweet butter'? I've never heard of that before. Enjoy the weekend (just make the best you can of it if you're working!)
    love, Angie, xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Angie, by sweet butter, I mean unsalted butter! Sorry for any confusion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh Marie, I am in love with your cookie jar! It's got personality! I have a giant ice cream cookie jar, its cute, but has no where near as much personality as your piggy! I like the look of these cookies, coconut in cookies is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marie...They look delish and simple enough to make. I will definately try my hand at these. Love your little cookie jar, A delicious blog. xoxo~Kathy~ @ Sweet Up-North Mornings...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet they are so good w/ the coconut..You are like J and I just 2 of us..

    so I know about saving some:) Or halving recipes..Your Cochonette darling!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marie I love your Cookie Jar, Is lovely!!!!!
    and these cookies are amazing and yummy!! Nice weekend dear, dont work so much !! xoxoxoxoxGloria

    ReplyDelete
  7. Off to make a batch or two of these for the freezer, thanks Marie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!