Pan Roasted Eggs and Tomatoes

Saturday 15 August 2009



Since I arrived in the UK, some 9 years ago now, I have never seen anything but a brown egg. Back home we always paid more for brown eggs, but here they are pretty standard fare. You can get eggs with blue and greenish tinted shells, but they are from a particular kind of hen. (Who's name escapes me at this particular moment!)



I have long been a proponent of buying only free range organic eggs. In fact that is the only type that my local shop sells. (Waitrose) I like to think that I am buying happy eggs, laid by happy chickens. It makes me feel better about what I am eating. They do cost more though, a lot more, but I guess that is the price you pay for hen freedom . . .

I used to work in a hen house grading eggs when I was a young bride many moons ago. They were battery hens. Todd also worked on a battery hen farm, many years ago. We both had to quit as our consciences were really bothered by what we saw. Our hearts just could not take it. they say that the heart can't grieve what the heart can't see . . . but our hearts saw plenty.



When I was a child I could not eat fried eggs at all, or any kind of egg with a runny yolk. My mother had the stomach flu one time and so my dad had to cook for us for a few days. All he could cook was fried eggs. I ended up with the stomach flu myself after a few days and so . . . let's just say, runny eggs were a no go for me for a very long time.

I am actually eating them now and rather enjoying them! Especially with toast fingers, or soldiers as they call them over here . . .

This is my version of egg and chips, kicked up a notch.



*Pan Roasted Eggs and Tomatoes*
Serves 2
Printable Recipe

Simple, economical and full of delicious flavours, this recipe is proof positive that tasty doesn't have to be complicated. You can multiply this to make more servings, but I don't recommend cooking any more than two eggs in the pan at any one time. You could also do individual servings in small skillets and serve them right in the skillet at the table for a unique presentation.

2 TBS good quality extra virgin olive oil
1 fat clove of garlic, peeled and smashed
1 (400g) tin of diced plum tomatoes with juice
sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
2 leaves of fresh basil, torn, or 1/2 tsp basil
2 large free range eggs



Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat until hot. Add the olive oil and heat just until it begins to shimmer. Add the garlic and saute it until it becomes fragrant. Pour in the tinned tomatoes. Season to taste with salt and pepper and throw in the basil. Turn the heat down to low and allow to simmer for a few minutes until the flavours are well melded and the tomatoes have thickened a bit. Break the eggs into the pan, leaving some space between them. Cook until the whites just start to set, then pop a cover over top and continue to cook until the eggs are set and done to your taste. (We like them with the yolks a bit runny) Season the yolks with a bit of salt and pepper and serve with toasted bread fingers for dipping.

8 comments

  1. I love eggs like that! Huevos Rancheros! I add some chorizo in mine but either way, it is great with a side of refried beans!
    ~Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love egg yolk run into tinned tomatoes. I like just plain bread to mop it up with but Keith likes his soldiers fried in garlic butter.

    love, Angie, xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do agree with your stance on egg production. Battery farming is shameful, and should be banned outright.

    But isn't it interesting how eggs will bring out the squeamishness in many people? Even a microscopic speck of uncooked egg white will do it for me - heave....but runny yolks are fine. Not eggs and tomato-anything though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy to have found your blog. Your photos make my mouth water. I love runny eggs and when I was sick my mom used to make buttered toast fingers. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like eggs like that too..A well known Dr here..Dr Béliveau was on TV last night..
    Eggs are GOOD for you:) Turmeric.. green tea..eggs:) Love the hen Marie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marie, !! I love the ceramic chicken so cute!!!! (yes still Im a litte girl) I love eggs too, and speacially brown eggs I dont know why and this dish look so yummy!!! xxGloria

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, this is real comfort food, Marie... Oh, I could eat a plate of this now...and served up like you have it--with toast and chips and everything...LOL! Delicious... Happy weekend, sweet friend--LOVE YA ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  8. A Chinese friend I use to work with told me her family use to eat white rice with peas on top. Then you put two fried eggs with runny yokes over the top and let it drizzle thorough the peas and rice. We tried it and fell in love with this simple, delicious, easy dinner. All it needs is a little butter on the rice and some salt and pepper on the eggs. I wouldn't have believed it had we not tried it. Pretty yummy! Your recipe looks great too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!