Lemon Posset

Thursday 20 August 2009

Lemon Posset 





I have a real fondness for lemons. You might say they are my only weakness . . . amongst others of course. If lemon is on the menu . . . I am totally there.

I have often wondered what it might be like to live in a place warm enough to have lemon trees in your garden. Is the air filled with the heady scent of lemons? Do your cheeks ache constantly in anticipation of what's to come? What must it be like to be able to whip up a jug of cold lemonade at the drop of a hat? 





Lemon Posset






Do lemon flowers smell like lemons? Perhaps one day I shall find out . . .




Lemon Posset 






I am almost embarassed to post this recipe. Its really so simple, but if you are like me and you love lemon, you will simply adore this recipe. It is, I believe, one of the finest and simplest ways to enjoy that lovely flavour . . . 





Lemon Posset






and to think . . . there are only 3 ingredients and it's all done quicker than you can blink an eye.



Lemon Posset






I suggest eating it slowly though . . . it's that good you will want the taste to sit forever on your tongue . . .




Lemon Posset 





full fat double cream . . . sugar . . . lemons . . . sure, there's a wack of calories in this, but . . .





Lemon Posset






it is my only weakness . . .




Lemon Posset 






*Lemon Posset*
Serves 6
Printable Recipe

I'm almost ashamed to post this, it's such a doddle to make. I have to though, because it's also incredibly delicious and impressive. Make this the next time you have company and they'll think you've been slaving over a hot stove all day. Who knew it only took a few minutes!



600ml of double cream (2 1/2 cups)
140g fine sugar (caster sugar) (scant 3/4 cup)
the finely grated zest of 2 large lemons
the juice of two large lemons



Pour the double cream into a large saucepan. Add the sugar. Cook and stir over medium heat until the sugar melts, and the cream comes to the boil. 



 Reduce the heat to a simmer and allow to simmer for 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in the lemon juice and zest. Pour into 6 serving dishes. Place in the refrigerator and chill for 2 to 3 hours before serving.




Lemon Posset 






This content (written and photography) is the sole property of  The English Kitchen. Any reposting or misuse is not permitted. If you are reading this elsewhere, please know that it is stolen content and you may report it to me at: theenglishkitchen@mail.com

Thanks so much for visiting.  Do come again!

27 comments

  1. Oh WOW! 2 of my favorite things cream & lemons. Yum!!! I want to make this. When I do I, I will let you know. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always have to have some lemons in the house, strange isn't it? Lemon posset is so easy and so yummy. Yours looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pics! Jain has lemon trees..I have wondered what you wonder.I would be over the moon..and yes if it's your weakness..indulge:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Marie

    I'm so glad I found your blog. I'm looking forward to seeing your "English cookery" in future posts. Am going to try the tomatoe tart this weekend. My memories of my mother's English cooking isn't quite as creative as your version. This Canadian cook is looking forward to returning to her routes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a really wonderful easy dessert. I'm glad you posted this. I am bookmarking this for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK Marie, I grew up with lemon trees in our garden in NZ - in face almost everyone there has a lemon tree or two or three...I didn't think much of it, took it for granted I guess! Now I would DIE to have a lemon tree!

    But want to know something really cool? We lived in a town called Temple View, built around the NZ temple, and on the temple grounds were dozens of...wait for it...lemon trees! And best of all, anyone could go and pick all the lemons they desired any time they wanted! And we did just that when I got married to my first husband - my Mum and I picked bags and bags of lemons, went home and made litres of fresh lemonade concentrate, and used it for the drink at the wedding! Are you drooling now??!! The lemonade was great...the husband not so much lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a lemon lover too...anything will lemons...mmm...And your recipe is super! And I love the fun photos too... I would love a lemon tree...they are so pretty. I could really go for this lemon delight and one of your lemon cookies now...I'm hungry! Happy weekend, dear Marie! Love ya ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our local garden centre insists thst you can grow lemons in tubs on your patio but I never heard of anyone who has actually done it!

    love, Angie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a friend that grew one in a large container, for many years. In winter she brought it in.

      Delete
  9. Very beautiful site. Well designed header. Good info. Please do visit mine also http://saladsnpickles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. You cannot be embarrassed by the simplicity of this dessert: my Mum served a lemon posset at a do she catered for! And why not? It is so delicious - yours looks so creamy and good :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum. This is one of my favourite blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OH MY GOSH, I'M SO HAPPY I FOUND YOUR BLOG.
    THANKS FOOD BUZZ !
    I WILL HAVE TO LEARN HOW TO CONVERT THE ING.
    I love lemon !!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Marie, I really love lemon desserts is one of my favorites!! This look absolutely yummy, (I think make tomorrow) Is lovely, I have some lemon trees but stil dont have lemons!! some day maybe!! xxxHuggssss!! Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  14. Don't ever apologize for ANYTHING you post Joan! I'm all prepared & I'm about to spend this arvo doing 2 big trays of your Summer Vegetable Lasagne. Zucchinis have finally gone down to a more respectable $4 per kilo.
    Millie ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have been scrolling through your blog and I simply love it. Not just for the content, but your design/layout are lovely and incredibly fitting. So glad I came across your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Look wonderful. I love lemon posset for the name alone! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love Meyer lemons. So much so that I planted 40 of them in my backyard in 2004. Now I ship lemons all over the country from my website. Hope you will stop by for a visit to my orchard! http://www.lemonladies.com

    We start shipping in late August and finish up in May. Right now, they are glorious! Am going to make this lovely lemon posset right now!

    And yes, the orchard smells heavenly. All year long. These are the most prolific wonderful trees you could ever imagine!

    Karen
    Orchardess
    Lemon Ladies

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have made this every week for 4-5 weeks. I pour in tiny 2 oz cups so that there is no guilt involved. Not sure I will ever get tired of it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can't read a word of this because the background is darker and busier than the print.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jo Ann, I think if you will give the page time to properly load you will discover that all of the writing is actually on a white background with the blue paisley only showing at the outer margins of the page. Unless you are on a Mac. Mac's don't like my page for some reason and the whole page doesn't always load properly. Sorry about that chief!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I made this today and poured it into four serving glasses but I have a feeling it could all have gone into one because I know who's going to eat it all! Me!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty dangerous stuff Amelia! haha Now that I have turned you on to this version you will have to try my Lime and Ginger version next! Here's the link:

      http://theenglishkitchen.blogspot.co.uk/2011/01/lime-and-ginger-posset.html

      VERY tasty as well! xo

      Delete
  22. Hello, love your web!
    Absolutely delicious this posset.
    I'm currently living in Spain and have a lemon tree, yes, it's nice to go out to the garden and take a lemon to use, but then I lack other things you do have! lol
    I wanted to tell you that I live on the north-west coast of Spain -no, not "sunny Spain, more like English-weather-Spain- they have a dessert which consists of taking lemon tree LEAVES, dipping them in a batter and frying them. Absolutely delicious! I was shocked the first time I tasted them, you don't eat the leaf, of course, just have the batter but it has the most delisious lemony taste!
    Thanks for your effort explaining all recipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Didi, sorry for the late response. That lemon dessert sounds fabulous. I will never be able to try it as we have no lemon trees, but one can wish! xoxo

      Delete
  23. Made this tonight and poured into 6 small bowls. Five went in the fridge and one I'm drinking slowly from the 6th bowl! It's delicious warm as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Jenny! That's nice to know that it is also delicious warm! I need to buy myself some small glasses here in Canada so I can make it again soon for my family! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am pleased that you enjoyed it! xoxo

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you so do not be shy!


BEFORE LEAVING A COMMENT OR RATING, ASK YOURSELF:
Did you make the recipe as directed? Recipe results are not guaranteed when changes have been made.

Is this comment helpful to other readers? Rude or hateful comments will not be approved. Remember that this website is run by a real person.

Are you here to complain about ads? Please keep in mind that I develop these recipes and provide them to you for free. Advertising helps to defray my cost of doing so, and allows me to continue to post regular fresh content.

Thanks so much for your understanding! I appreciate you!